We are building the world's first global commercial satellite laser ranging (SLR) service. Ultra high precision space situational awareness (SSA) to enable a sustainable future for satellite operators.
- Space Situational Awareness (SSA)
Resources - Energy
- Wireless Power Transfer
- Development, Cancelled
- First launch
- Not applicable
Lumi Space: The company is developing laser ranging technology to again spot, characterise and precisely track objects in orbit. A UK start-up company is developing ground-based laser technology that can pinpoint, down to the centimetre, the exact distance between Earth and a satellite in low earth orbit.
Previous idea: **We use modern laser technology to provide power to satellites from Earth. **
- Lumi Space will power satellites from Earth, adding to what they receive from the Sun.
- This means that satellite batteries can be charged by a focused laser from Earth, even when the solar panels aren’t in direct sunlight.
- This has many important advantages such as night operations, reduced costs and more timely data acquisition and transmission.
- By being part of the Call to Orbit programme, Lumi Space will be able to expedite its research and testing, and start designing a test mission in space, on the versatile and easy-to-use Open Cosmos integration platforms. This partnership with a satellite manufacturer and operator allows them to test their concepts with flight-ready hardware.
Most sources should be linked in the texts and headings as revealed by mouse-over, but here are they listed for visibility.